Your brief for: Worn & Weathered
Closing date: December 6th, 2020
For the first FotoMission on the new site we’d like you to interpret the theme Worn & Weathered but you MUST do so with the widest aperture on the lens you choose to use and your photo should display creative use of a limited (shallow) depth-of-field.
You can shoot with any lens (including a macro) in your armoury, but remember with a wide-angle lens (even one with a maximum aperture of f/2.8) the ‘apparent’ depth-of-field is greater than if you use a longer lens, so for more visual impact we’d recommend using focal lengths from 50mm upwards. Your image can be presented in colour or black & white.
When you post an entry it will be visible to everyone immediately, although voting won’t be allowed until the competition closes on December 6th. The photographer's identity will be hidden. You may also change your entry up until the point member voting begins.
How does Voting work?
Voting is by Foto-Buzz members only and only the Top 10 images (based purely on numbers of votes) will be shown at the end. Expert Judging will take place via Zoom on one of our regular Buzzlive broadcasts where HQ will critique images and decide on their favourite three images totally independent of the member votes.
The rules of FotoMission
1. Only one image entry per member is permitted but you may change that one image as many times as you like before the mission closes.
2. Images can have been taken at any time but to meet the brief and help develop your photography we’d recommend that you shoot an image specifically for each FotoMission.
3. If the brief requests a colour image then you must enter a full colour (RGB) image or if it requests a Black & White image then there should be no colour in your photo. Where it is not specified you may enter either colour or Black & White or variations of them.
4. In order to be fair to all levels and types of photographer you are not allowed to manipulate your image so that it completely changes the honesty of the original scene. You are allowed to adjust the exposure, contrast (including curves), saturation, highlights, shadows and other basic raw adjustments. You can also transform to correct verticals/horizontals or tweak composition and also use selective adjustment layers. Cropping is allowed. You are also permitted to clone out minor distractions and blemishes. You may use multiple images of the
same scene to create an HDR image. You may also use several different images to create a pattern or background texture but you cannot composite a ‘natural’ looking scene together from multiple images.
5. It’s best to resize your images to 1920px longest edge before upload as it keeps the server gremlins happy. Only upload JPEGs.
6. The image entered must be entirely created by you and you alone.
7. By entering the competition you agree to take part with integrity and in the friendly spirit of Foto-Buzz as a community.
8. In the unlikely event of a dispute the decision of Foto-Buzz HQ is final.